Wednesday, February 8, 2012

How we handled the situation at school


The stress I endured last night not knowing what really happened to my daughter was unbearable. I reached out to close friends and family for advice and their take on the situation. My husband and I had a long conversation about how to handle this and we decided to just hear the teacher out.

My love bug seemed happy this morning and eager to go to school. She seemed unaffected by what happened.  We did our best to talk to her yesterday about it and nurture her so she knew we loved her and cared for her. Guiding your child during difficulty is so important even though you feel weak within.

When we walked into her classroom, I didn’t want to see her teacher because to me she was the enemy. My husband was right by my side. I smiled politely and said good morning. My daughter was happy to see her and started showing off her new chap stick and pillow that she brought in. I asked her in a calm yet concerned voice “What happened yesterday?” She seemed nervous and her hands were shaking a bit which could mean a few things but she assured me that it was an accident and that she will try to find ways to keep my daughter in bed by providing her with books.

It’s the most helpless feeling in the world not knowing what really happened and trying to find the courage within to trust this person. So I got some assurance that the teacher would supply her with books and hopefully this will not happen again especially since my husband and I were both there and trying to find a solution for this. I didn’t want her to think we were attacking her because that is not a good way to build relationships but I do hope that our presence and lots of questions really helped her realize that we are not pushover parents and that “Accidents” like this are unacceptable.


No comments:

Post a Comment